Cryotherapy: It’s the hottest new fitness craze – here’s why!
We’ve all heard of icing an injury to help reduce swelling and pain, ice baths after sport to help with athletic recovery and cold weather being good for boosting your metabolism. Well, Cryotherapy takes all of this to the next level!
Exposing your skin to sub-zero temperatures, you’re effectively putting your body into shock, forcing your physiological reactions to take over. And that’s what it all comes down to! Once you’ve exposed your body to the extreme cold, your oxygen rich, nutrient dense blood rushes back to the effected area, and here’s what it does:
1. Reduces Inflammation
Inflammation occurs when your tissues and cells are subject to injury or cellular damage, it is your bodies attempt to remove the disruption in your cells and begin the healing process. Unfortunately the damaged cells release chemical signals that result in swelling, dilation of blood vessels, buildup of white blood cells and your skin to warm up. This is where cryotherapy comes in and constricts your blood vessels, resulting in the inflammation to decrease and for your body to start feeling some relief. If pain or inflammation is stopping you from performing at your best, then cryotherapy can be your solution.
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Helps with treatment of Multiple Sclerosis and Fibromyalgia
- Helps provide relief from nerve pain
- Shorter recovery time
2. Improves Athletic Recovery
Cryotherapy does not freeze your muscles or tissues – like an ice bath does, elite and amateur athletes can be treated per workout and post workout. Treatment before exercise will reduce inflammation, increase energy and release those feel good endorphins.
Athletic Recovery (pre workout treatment)
Cryotherapy before any workout can increase your performance and allow your body to recover faster. Elite and Amateur athletes are using cryotherapy on a weekly basis to dramatically improve their performance during their training and long after.
- Decreased injury recovery
- Reduction of pain and inflammation
- Increases athletic performance
- Reduces DOMS (Delay Onset Muscle Soreness)
- Competitive psychological edge
Athletic Recovery (post workout treatment)
“No more ice baths!” Cold therapy has been proven for centuries to assist in the body’s recovery from strain and exercise. Use Cryotherapy to trigger the body’s natural anti-inflammatory effects of cold on muscles. Cold application is ideal for post work-out and post game recovery because it promotes anti-inflammatory properties and provide pain relief – which can decrease any soreness after an intensive workout.
- Improves recovery time
- Increases energy levels and stamina
- Increases testosterone, adrenaline, noradrenalin
- Reduces inflammation throughout the joint and muscles
- Improves effectiveness of physiotherapy
3. Assists Weight Loss
Cryotherapy can give you the edge you need to boost your regular exercise and healthy eating routine. It is common to burn between 500-800 calories after each 3-minute session. It will aid overall weight loss, reduce the appearance of cellulite, activate muscles and increase your metabolism.
- Toning and shaping
- Increase metabolism
- Overall weight loss
- Activate muscle recovery to keep your body working
4. Increases muscle gain
Cryotherapy has the added benefit of achieving results, well after your initial treatment. From decreasing inflammation to increasing muscle growth, cryotherapy has the ability to increase your fitness results in no time.
- Less muscle damage during training
- Greater tolerance to training over several days
- Better immune profile following treatment
- Improved endorphin levels
- Enhanced mood and relaxation
- Better sleep quality
5. A Wellness Boost that Energises and Rejuvenates
During a Cryotherapy session, blood rushes through the core as a counter effect to the skins surface reaching freezing temperature. In turn, the natural effect increases oxygenation and nutrients with the blood, which can flush toxins, reduce inflammation, increase cellular survival and accelerate the body’s natural recovery.
- Increases energy levels and stamina
- Increases testosterone and adrenaline
- Triggers the release of endorphins – the ‘feel good’ hormone!
- Increases circulation and flow of nutrients and oxygen around the body
Whether you’re looking to speed up your recovery time after exercising, bounce back after injury or prepare for your next big challenge – Cryotherapy is the ideal way to get your body into shape.
Perth Cryotherapy Centre are here to help you along your fitness journey, whatever that may be. Book your next session online now and start your #cryojourney TODAY – what are you waiting for?